Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Unintended consequences, part II


I've taken up knitting! The girl who learned her crochet craft from her mother as a wee child has crossed over to the double-stick'd side. And...I like it.

I think that for a new first-time-doing-this-craft project, sans pattern, I came out fairly well.

At my friend Eunice's instruction: I used a simple knit-purl-knit-purl (stockinette stitch, for you experts) repetition, and then decreased the number of stitches, first slowly, then dramatically, as I made my way to what would be top of the head. (Think a Hershey-kiss shape). Then, with just about half a dozen loops left on the needle, I strung a single piece of yarn through the top and created the crown.

A few oversights: the hat was a bit small. An understatement: pint-sized. But who wears pint-sized clothing? BABIES! And I have just the baby in mind, my friend's daughter who is just about to turn one years old this year.

Luckily, I used berry-colored yarn (leftover from the bolero shrug), which struck up another inspirational thought: a berry hat! For a baby! So cute! Babies wearing berries! I was nearly beside myself.

A crochet embroidery needle helped stitch small, X-shaped black dots that I hope resemble strawberry seeds. A crochet hook made triangles of single crochet stitches that I hope resemble a strawberry's leafy crown.

I almost never post photos up of gifts that I haven't sent yet, but I thought, well, if this baby is smart enough to find my blog and look at her gift beforehand...let her be. Her daddy just better keep mum.

No comments: