Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Unintended consequences, part I

When I first picked up crochet a few years ago, I wanted to make my friend fingerless gloves. The pattern came from "Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker," but I was not happy about the manipulation of the pattern around the hand. I ripped out several rows, several times, until I was ready to give in.

But the fishnet-like stitch gave me inspiration to keep going. And for the longest time, I had two rectangular swaths of black, lacy crochet that kept getting squashed between the ugly balls of yarn I know I'm never going to use.

And then along came a cold, wintry day...and AH-HAH! Leggings that cover my calves, giving me a few more inches of warmth when I want to wear boots and a skirt.

Modeling in front of a mirror on your own is not fun. And, I still owe my friend a gift, since I never made those fingerless gloves, and I can't bear to part with these leggings.

No comments: