Wednesday, June 16, 2010

applique? por que no?

In the last month or so, my gifts have been Applique Unbound.
Applique is a technique where a small ornament is applied on top of another surface. I think of as an intentional patch of fabric.
There's tons of information about how to properly apply appliques, like this video from Craftster.
I'm more haphazard. A wraparound blouse from Old Navy that was my friend's castoff had a pretty blue, pink and navy pattern. I cut out easy-to-sew shapes like circles and ovals and either hand-stitched or used a zigzag stitch on my machine to create easy, peasy appliques. 'Cause that's how I roll.
In no particular order...
A bag for a friend's baby shower:

Applique-decorated beanie hat for a dear friend's birthday (I made the hat out of a recycled sweater):

And I'm a bit ashamed to admit this one, but:

I liked that bag so much, I had to make another for my friend (you'll be happy to know that the sewing is improved on the second version):

And here's detail of those appliques:

No comments: