Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Practical, beautiful...but alas! not waterproof...

In times of haste, I make mistakes.
No joke.
I've locked my keys in my car three times, all under times of duress. Once: on my first day of my (unpaid) intership. Another time: trying to get across town to do a video interview in south Austin. Yet a third time: just discovered that I had to write about an escaped Utah convict who vanished from the prisons decades ago and was now living a secret double life in my town.
So this project suffered the consequences of my hastiness - I was pitching a tent in the Mount Hood wilderness during a camping trip. We were fast losing daylight, the rain was coming down, and I had this adorable, embroidered little pocket snuggling around my cell phone in my pocket.
Next morning: I wake up in a panic, chimes from a pre-programmed alarm ring, I frantically look inside for the phone...and it's outside on the ground. Drenched.

The pocket dried out, but let's just say I need to invest in cell phone insurance. Immediately.
(crafting notes: the yellow embroidered fabric came from a $3 oversized shirt from the Target clearance rack. Big yoke-style neck hole, ugly sleeves...I cut it up to make a bag [what else] originally, and made the cell phone cover out of a scrap of that. Inside I lined it with pink felt, and then attached an embroidered ribbon, scavenged, of course.)

No comments: