Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fizzy fail...

I wanted to make thank-you gifts for all my dear friends who helped me craft my way up to my sister's wedding.
At first, I decided to go simple. Scented bath salts in unique containers. Simple, right?
But then, I was inspired by this tutorial and decided to try my hand at making bath bombs.
I went scavenging for the listed materials. Hardest to find was citric acid, but a local homebrew supply store in town, Homebrew Heaven, carried it. Toughest consumer choice: what kind of essential oil to buy (and it ain't exactly cheap, but I figure it'll last me through several craft projects).

I read that you can use almost anything to mold bath bombs: Christmas ornament molds, two measuring spoons stuck together, ice cube trays, etc. I forced some of the globby mix into some flower-shaped ice cube trays I have, as well as a muffin tin:

The catch: you've got to mix the wet and dry ingredients just right. Too dry, and it won't stick together. I learned the tough way: too wet, and the stuff will just keep reacting and expanding. I thought I could leave this stuff to dry overnight, but it never did: I woke up to find my kitchen counter smothered in this mushy, yellowy, jasmine-scented mess. Fizzy fail, indeed. I was so disappointed I didn't even take an "after" shot.

No comments: